Reviving Township Economies
One Business At A Time
Who We Are
We are tenacious advocates for empowering township businesses – this is where our roots run deep. We embody the true essence of our township entrepreneur – courageous and resilient. We use our ingenuity, partner with pioneers, find opportunities to invest in rejunvenating our townships and make a lasting impact in communities.
Where We Started
In July 2021, violent protests swept across Gauteng and KwaZulu Natal. More than 50 000 informal traders and 40 000 businesses were impacted with >R65 billion in damages estimated. After seeing the destruction of the very businesses that form the backbone of our vibrant townships, Afrika Tikkun mobilised its network to support the rebuilding of businesses that provide much-needed services in-community. Afrika Tikkun launched the campaign: #RevivingTownshipEconomies : one business at a time in August 2021.
The campaign has grown to almost R130 million, targeting 1800 township businesses. The RTE team sought to find small businesses, owned by local, previously disadvantaged entrepreneurs that started their business from sheer determination and a passion to service a need in the community; and could not access any other support to rebuild their life’s work after being destroyed or vandalised by looting, floods or similar disasters.
The RTE Campaign is using the lessons learnt from these crisis interventions to empower township businesses to build back better, by injecting appropriate development mechanisms to catalyse sustainable growth in township communities.
To empower our communities, we invest in :
• Community services – such as ECD, other education and training, primary health care centres, internet cafes and printing services.
• Retail outlets and general dealers.
• Personal care, hair and beauty services.
• Food & beverage: street side food markets, township kitchens and restaurants.
• Clothing & textile businesses.
• All types of agriculture: crop production, livestock and other animal farming, among others.